Fair Trade means more than just paying living wages.
The most important rules:
- Settled working conditions and a limit on overtime
- Fixed working contracts
- Nondiscrimination rule
- Guarantee of hygiene
- Right to and support of trade unions
- System of minimum price and bonus
Next to the social, there are important economic and ecological rules:
- Proof of goods and money flow
- Transparent trade relations
- Prohibition on dangerous pesticides
- No GMOs
- Support of organic farming
Fair Trade Germany and the Fair trade label Organisation (FLO)
FaiFair trade Germany holds the rights on the Fair Trade mark and controls its use.
The Fair trade Label Organization controls compliance with the rules on location. The FLO visits manufactures worldwide, checks the books, and interviews workers at home, where they can speak freely.
A lot of people work hard for their ideal!